Since 1984, Bruce's practice has evolved from a concentration in commercial litigation, to a broader-based business practice. Bruce works with many businesses from their inception, assisting them in making choices about the form the business should take, possible agreements among the owners, and planning for growth and change. Bruce works with his clients in the development of contracts and other documents for regular use or special projects. Recently, much of the contract development has related in some fashion to development or use of technology.
Bruce also has developed an understanding of land use planning and its relation to commercial development. Bruce's first substantial experience in this area motivated him to serve as a Trustee in the Village of Grafton, Wisconsin for a two year term. During his term, Bruce played a substantial role in the complete redrafting of the zoning code for the Village of Grafton. This gave Bruce a unique perspective regarding zoning and planning issues. In 1999, Bruce was elected an officer of Grafton's economic development corporation, on which he now serves as vice president.
Bruce has handled a number of technology related cases for clients such as Xerox Computer Services and General Electric Credit Corporation. In the latter case, Bruce argued the first case in the Seventh Circuit to address provisions of the Uniform Commercial Code dealing with wire transfer liability.
Bruce has successfully handled disputes concerning employee non-competition agreements for both employers and employees. This litigation, in turn, has given Bruce an intimate knowledge of the issues that need to be addressed in drafting such provisions.
- Business Organizations
- Commercial Litigation
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Shareholder and Member Relations
- Real Estate
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin
- J.D. - 1984
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
- B.A. - 1980
- Major: Political Science
- Wisconsin, 1984
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin, 1984
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1995
- Comment, Arizona v. Maricopa, University of Wisconsin Law Review, No. 5, 1983
- Ashland Oil (SuperAmerica)
- Behnke Lubricants Inc.
- Expedited Freight Systems, Inc.
- Fiduciary Real Estate Development, Inc.
- K.L. Stewart & Associates, Inc.
- LaBudde Group, Inc.
- Moraine Environmental, Inc.
- Sysnet Web, Inc.
- The Home Depot
- The Waterstone Group, Inc.
- Third Millennium Design, Inc.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Economic Development for Grafton Enhancement, Inc., President, 1999 to 2000
- Economic Development for Grafton Enhancement, Inc., Vice President, 2000 to 2005
- Village of Grafton, Wisconsin, Trustee, 1997 to 1999
- Grafton Area Chamber of Commerce, Director, 2001 to 2006